Highlights of our week: April 9-12
- Parent Conferences- Students did an amazing job sharing their learning and successes with parents! A huge thank you to those who were able to come. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
In writing, students finished their wonderful Owner's Manuals that you were able to have your child read to you at parent conference. Their sense of humor is truly a delight! We had many chuckles in class over them and hope you were able to also!
- This week we will begin writing a persuasive essay after learning about roller coasters and propaganda techniques.
Students will continue their Book Club books, practice and review some reading strategies and begin John's Reading Assessments.
- We will begin spelling again... I took a little break, but feel it is important to take the time for this and I have an amazing parent who has volunteered to help!! Thank you Mrs. Gusewelle. Words will come home on Monday in your child's Monday folders, please help them study each night and test will be on Thursday each week.
We started our science project unit on "Matter" this week, guided by the driving question: How can we use matter to show physical and chemical changes? Students have chosen a specific lesson/experiment to do with a partner. These will be conducted next week, following the scientific method steps. Students will bring home a list Monday of supplies they will need for their specific experiment which they will need on Wednesday to begin experimenting.
- Our rescheduled Field Trip to Fleishmann Planetarium at UNR is this Friday, April 20th. We will leave from the main school parking lot at 8:15 am and return by 1:30 that afternoon. We will be going to the planetarium show, a visit to the exhibit hall and our bag lunch on the grounds. We will utilize the previous permission slips. Students will need to bring:
- $5.00 for the entrance fee
- Bag lunch
- Please be aware of 5th grade testing dates and do your best to make sure your child is in attendance on these dates with a good nights sleep and healthy breakfast: (we will have healthy snacks each day)
- SBAC Science- April 25
- ACT English Language Arts- May 2
- ACT Math- May 3
- SBAC Math- May 9&10
- SBAC English Language Arts- May 15 & 16
- I would love a volunteer to set up a Sign-Up Genius for parents to sign up. (Please email me separately) Please watch for correspondence in the next week.