Highlights of the Week in Room 5:
- Our Informational Essays are coming along and we hope to wrap them up by the end of next week. Students are learning not only about the process of writing informational essays, but important information about various forms of energy conservation, such as hydro power, wind turbines, and solar energy. They have also gained a greater knowledge of what renewable and non-renewable energy is.
- Book Clubs continue to be running smooth. I am impressed with them rising to the occasion and having insightful discussions. Students are learning how to talk about their book, take on responsibility, ask deeper level questions and practice attentive listening to each other.
- Colony project are well underway! Presentations will be Monday and Tuesday of next week with the other 5th grade class. Students have researched, collaborated and are now using their creativity to present their information. It will be fun to see which group is the most successful at convincing others to move to their colony based on the original 13 colonies.
Upcoming Events/ Information:
- Valentineś Party will be on Wednesday afternoon. If students are sharing valentines, please make sure everyone is included. I sent a class list home with students on Monday in their Monday folders or with their work. Students earned game time from Class Dojo points so we will be combining the two. We will exchange valentineś, have some snacks and play board games! Students can bring in their favorite board game if they wish. We have a lot in class that they can play also.
- After finishing up Colony presentations we will begin a new science unit on Earthś Place in the Universe. We will need some supplies to help them support the argument that the apparent brightness of the sun and stars is due to their relative distance from Earth. If you have any of this around home or do not mind sending in, we will all be very appreciative! Please bring them in by next Thursday 2/15 if possible. Thanks for your help!
- Wide mouth glass jars with lids.
- Shoe boxes
- Flashlights (which will be returned) * please label with name
- We have booked the field trip to the Fleischmann Planetarium for Friday, March 2nd. We will be viewing the program ¨From Earth to the Universe¨ in the planetarium and touring the exhibit hall starting at 10:00am. Following the exhibit hall we will have a sack lunch (bring one!) on the grounds. We will meet in the school parking lot and leave at 8:30 am. We do have some room for siblings. More info to come on sibling age and specifics regarding transportation. If you have not responded regarding your childś attendance, please let me know ASAP! Thank you!
- We have had conversations about being attentive listeners, tracking the speaker and being respectful to our classmates and others (especially all adults). Please support me in this endeavor to continue reinforcing happy, kind, respectful students!!
- Please contact me if you ever have any questions and thank you for your wonderful children!