- In writing we are wrapping up our persuasive opinion writing pieces on Monday. We added in a counter argument and worked on transitions to help papers flow smoothly. We will share on Monday and hang them in the hall for Mrs. Mackedon and Ms. Tisdale to hear students ideas.
- Students did an excellent job on their book culmination projects. There was a variety of diaries and newspapers where students wrote stories and tried to consider what it would be like in the time of their book. I enjoyed their creativity.
- Students have been preparing this week for their research presentations around various topics related to the atmosphere, hydrosphere, geosphere, and biosphere. On Thursday, we planted our terrariums as a model of these four spheres interacting with one another. Presentations will be on Monday afternoon.
- On Tuesday, we will begin an Egg Drop project. We will be reading After The Fall, How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again and relate it having a growth mindset to work hard through challenges. The kids will engineer a device to keep "Humpty Dumpty" (an egg) safe when dropping from different heights. If you have the following items laying around the house or have chickens and you would like to donate, the kids will be grateful because they will be able to "practice" their drops a few more times than 2. We need: EGGS, toilet paper rolls (empty), pipe cleaners, Popsicle sticks, Styrofoam cups, or cotton balls. Students will be given a said amount of supplies and be able to test on Tuesday and Wednesday with the final drop being Thursday afternoon.
- Please try and establish a plan with your child to get their math homework signed off each night as well as bring their parent journal and weekly folder with signed reading log back to school on Monday. Students are having to attend study hall which takes class time away and they are missing important information. They will now have to stay in at lunch and complete math facts on paper. This is their responsibility, but working with them to come up with a plan would be helpful.
- Next week students will be working on preparing for our upcoming Parent Conferences on April 13th. They will be leading the conference as they share their report card, a portfolio of work and some learning goals. Sign-Up Genius notification will be sent out in the next few days. Please sign up for a time slot or contact me if needed.
- Our Planetarium field trip to UNR will be on Friday, April 20th. As was previously scheduled, we will meet at the school around 8:15 am and carpool for the 10 am showing, followed by a tour through the exhibition hall and a sack lunch on the grounds. We plan to return around 1:30 pm. Please let me know ASAP if your child still plans to attend (we will keep the same permission slips previously signed, but I need to know if there are any who plan to go this time who weren't able to before or vice versa).
- We will need drivers for that day, so if you were planning on transporting students previously, please let me know if you are still able to do so.
- Only one week until Spring Break! Spring is definitely in the air, please remind your kids to have their best behavior. Thank you! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.